Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Theology - Big Words!

I don't often get into heavy theological studies, but I have been drawn to take another look at what I believe about some things. I think we all need to challenge ourselves in this area from time to time. The deep study is good, especially when I often don't go deep in my daily devotions.

So, I've been looking at big words like sacerdotalism, christology, soteriology, and other concepts that often divide churches. I've been spending some time looking at Calvinism and Armenianism especially. I don't fit neatly into either tradition, but always seek to understand the views of both more fully.

The problem comes when we go beyond what is clear to what is not and become dogmatic about what is not. Great theologians have debated some key issues for centuries without clear resolution or agreement. Many would rather fight than to admit that they may not have answers to everything. There are viewpoints that I hold, that I can defend, but I also admit that there are a few passages that I don't have all of the answers to.

It is important to me that we be unified where we can be, and give grace where we can't. This doesn't mean that I don't have conviction about by beliefs, but it does mean that I am not willing to split the church over most of them. The bottom line is, are we doing what Jesus sent us to do? Are we fulfilling the great commission with the great commandment? How we do it doesn't matter nearly as much as whether or not we are doing it!

We don't have to prove each other wrong, but we should challenge each other to continue to grow in their faith, knowledge, and obedience to our Lord Jesus Christ.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home