Thursday, April 24, 2008

Falling Away

Why do people fall away from Christ? And just as important, what draws them back? Lastly, how to we shore them up to prevent them from falling away again.

Some may argue that those who re-commit to Christ, probably weren't Christians to begin with. Their first decision probably wasn't sincere. That's not a call I can make. That's a matter for God to determine their heart. What I do know, is that people with genuine relationships with Christ, sometimes go through tough times and need a Fresh Start with God!

So how do we help them? Do we act as though they never had a relationship with Christ and have them use the same materials and go to the same classes as those accepting Christ for the first time? The more and more that I encounter people truly wanting to re-connect with Christ, I am convinced that they need something different. Something in between the new believer process and plugging them into regular home teams.

What that looks like, I don't know, but God has been impressing upon my heart that there needs to be resources geared to them. So, I am beginning work on that. Next week I will be taking some time for focused prayer and study in this area. Then, I will be meeting with other pastors to brainstorm in this area. I hope that by fall we will have a resource that will bring hope and connection to those re-connecting with God.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 5/04/2008 8:23 PM , Blogger beBOLDjen said...

From my own personal experience after acepting Christ in my youth in Awanas and not having Christ following parents I grew away from Him in High school. I denied Him in deeds and in the silence I kept concerning sharing my faith with others. One of the key concepts I was never really taught in depth was the simplicity of the importance of daily obedience to Jesus and how living a holy life serves in strengthening our walk as followers of Christ. truly that is where the freedom is. My ignorance definitely kept me in bondage and squelched the Spirit in me. I was one who was not baptized upon accepting Christ. Not until years later did I get baptised. I just never understood the significance of it. I don't know if it was necessarily pivotal to my maturity in Christ but my baptism sparked a new season of growth in my walk. I wonder how many "re-committers" have failed to follow through with baptism and other basic steps of obedience?

......Just food for thought. ;)

Jen
PS- I don't usually comment but I enjoy reading your blog.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home