Friday, May 02, 2008

Covenant Marriage

For me, I thought all marriages were covenant marriages. According to the state of Arizona, there is a difference, and I am glad. With the high rate of divorce in this country, I am glad that there is at least an attempt by this state to reduce that number.

A covenant marriage is a step beyond a normal wedding. To receive a covenant marriage license, the couple must complete pre-marital counseling (supported by a notarized certification by the clergy or other person doing the counseling). After the marriage, before a couple can divorce, they must go through counseling.

It doesn't prevent divorce, but it will hopefully reduce it. The one thing that I wish they would change, is that right now, anyone can officiate a wedding in AZ. I wish that they would limit that to licensed clergy and officials of the court. I think that would help reduce the divorce rate as well.

Saturday night I will officiate my first covenant marriage. I personally know the couple and am excited for them. I am also proud that they are taking this extra step and giving their marriage a good foundation for success.

Another way to reduce divorce is to eliminate the term from your vocabulary. If you don't view it as an out, then when troubles come, you have no choice but to work things out. That's not easy or popular, if we made divorce more difficult, less couples would take marriage so lightly.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home