Thursday, April 10, 2008

Treasured or Remembered Thoughts?

I was thinking this morning (always a dangerous moment) about memories. I have always thought the entry in the Bible where it says that, "Mary treasured all these things in her heart."

I was thinking that for us to remember positive events in our lives, we need to "treasure" them in order to embed them into our memory, yet when bad things happen, they go immediately into the recesses of our memory as permanent fixtures.

How many of the hurts in your life do you remember, versus the blessings? How vivid are the details of those events? How many negative versus positive memories do you have?

I hope that you have had more opportunity to treasure memories rather than remember the hurts in your life. It makes me think that I need to be sure to capture each positive moment so that those memories will crowd out the painful ones.

One memory I have treasured in my heart this week was Caleb's 20th birthday. It's hard to believe that we don't have any teenagers in the house, and that our "baby" is now 20! Tuesday, Paige and I drove over to the school (there is no up or down here because we live in a flat valley!) and took him to dinner. Paige even baked him a cake and we ate it at a picnic table at the school without plates or utensils (man style!). It was pretty simple, but it was meaningful time, especially for me.

Because of a TIA (small stroke) that I had several years ago, I have some memory disconnects, so every treasured moment is important to me. I am thankful that Paige is able to remind me of things past.

Anyway, just some thoughts about how we remember or treasure things in our lives. I am thankful that I remember a key time in my life when Jesus finally became someone that I could talk to. I will treasure that day always!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home