Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Rick Warren

I remember the first time I visited Saddleback church and heard Rick Warren speak. The church was still meeting at a high school. Since that time, I have visited the church a number of times. I used to live about 20-30 minutes from the church. I have seen the church grow in numbers and influence.

Yesterday, I got the chance to hear some new stuff from Rick along with most of our staff. As is often the case, I was really challenged. He was speaking from 2 Corinthians chapter 4. Here are some things that really hit me:

1 - This was actually a quote by Jerry Falwell. Regardless of what you think of Falwell, this rocked me. Paraphrasing, he said that greatness is determined by what it takes to discourage you. I really need to work on this in my life. I get so discouraged over several things, mostly beyond my control. I need to do a better job in this area.
2 - You lose perspective when your're tired. This really applies right now. I haven't slept much since surgery last week and it's really affecting my ability to stay focused and think clearly.
3 - God's pupose is greater than your problems. This is a great reminder! I do the best I can in this area, often pushing myself a little too hard and then paying the price. I mostly think of physical problems here, but life struggles apply greatly. I do better focusing on his purpose over my life problems than I do with my physical problems.
4 - Make time for daily renewal. Divert daily, withdraw weekly, and take time for yearly abandonment. I need to start getting together with some other pastors in my area to encourage and pray for them, and allow them to do the same for me.

Rick always makes you think. There are several other points that I need to reflect on, but these I need to work on.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home