Monday, June 18, 2007

48 Hours

Be forewarned, I'm going to whine in this post! I'm simply going to share my personal struggle with pain this past couple of days.

The last 48 hours have been the toughest that I have faced physically since I had a kidney stone last Thanksgiving! The pain has been excruciating and relentless. Imagine the body aches of the flu multiplied by 5 and add in a few sports injuries and a major sunburn to go with it. I have been in tears crying more than once during this time. Paige felt so helpless as her hubby stood crying this morning, having a melt-down that would put a four-year-old's tantrum to shame.

I have gotten "used" to living with pain. On good days it's about a 3 on a 10 scale. Usually, bad days are about a 7, but this weekend was pushing the limit. I knew I was in trouble when I went to pick up prescription refills Saturday. When I got to the Pharmacy to pick up the three medicines I call my "cocktail", they could only refill one saying that I needed to see the Dr. OK, it's Saturday, the on-call Dr. doesn't handle prescriptions, and they can't give me anything to hold me over. It turns out that someone other than my regular Dr. approved my last refill and added the stipulation not being familiar with the long term history.

That meant that I spent the past two days without two much needed medicines to keep my pain levels to manageable levels. The earliest that I could get in to see the Dr. today was at 1:30. Boy was I watching the clock today! I finally got new prescriptions and have taken the medicines, and they are beginning to kick in. I am sure that under more lucid conditions I could come up with some really good spiritual connections and comparisons, but I have had the concentration level of a piece of fruit! I haven't even been able to drive (except for driving home early from Church yesterday, which I hated, probably wasn't the wisest decision), and for those who know me, I love driving! As a side note, it was great to have several people pray for me and for other staff members offering to take care of things, you are all such an encouragment!!!

Yesterday I was in so much pain I resorted to some percocet I have for severe pain, but they didn't help much.

Anyway, it wasn't the best father's day, as far as how I felt, but Paige's parents were here (her folks are the best in-laws anyone could ask for!) and both boys were here and we grilled Rib-Eye. In many ways, the day couldn't get any better! I love my boys and am so proud of both of them. They have had to put up with a lot because of my physical challenges. They are truly a blessing.

Finally, the pain is decreasing. I am glad that I have never asked God why I face this trial in an angry way, only to try to understand what He wants me to learn. I have often asked that He remove it, but so far He has chosen not to. No matter what, I pray that even in my pain and the irritability it often produces, that God would be glorified and that my faith would be strengthened.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home