Thursday, May 31, 2007

New Believers - It's About Relationships!

No matter what program you have or don't have to lead new believers toward maturity in Christ, you will only be moderately successful at best if you aren't building relationships with them.

Here at PVC I think we do a pretty good job with our ministry to new believers. I'm not just saying that because it's my job, I'm saying that because every week I see people connected and serving who have accepted Christ here and have been led through our ministry. That's the reward! That's when we know that we have done a good job. If people have been baptized, joined a home team, and serving we can rejoice in that! Of course there are other areas that they need to grow in, and we pray for their continued growth, but those areas are beyond the focal point of this ministry.

Unfortunately, there are still people who don't take the next steps with their faith. I know that will always happen (See Jesus' parable of the soils), but we need to do everything that we can to minimize the loss. I pray that I am never satisfied with where we are at with this ministry!

One of the key elements that we continually work at doing better is building relationships with new believers who God brings to us. Our Fresh Start Coaches do a great job, and are getting better all the time at connecting on a personal level so that they can encourage and lead people toward growth and maturity in Christ.

The desire to build relationships requires people. We need more faithful people who have a heart for building relationships and encouraging people to grow in their faith. It doesn't sound that hard, but it requires that you be a member of PVC, that you are willing to serve where needed, and that you are willing to contact people regularly. Some people have a hard time calling people that they don't know very well. I'm one of them! One thing that helps me is that I want to know their story. I want to know how God has worked in their life to bring them to their decision to follow Christ. I don't always get to meet these people face to face, but I love to hear their story. We need more people who want to hear the stories of how God is changing lives!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home