Thursday, May 31, 2007

Suffering - 1 Peter

I love how James begins his letter with the issue of suffering through trials. It is my favorite book. Peter writes about suffering too. In chapter two he writes that our suffering is part of what God has called us to (2:21).

He says that the way we handle suffering is a testimony to our level of faith in Jesus Christ. I had never thought about it like that. That's why we study Scripture over and over, because God teaches us things new every time we study it.

Each of us are called to suffer in different ways. Some suffer physically (I'm in that boat), while others suffer because of persecution (I'm glad that I'm not in that boat, but pray for those who are!). Either way, the pain involved is real and the way we live with it is a measure of our faith.

I pray that I measure up! It certainly isn't always easy, but I really try to live through the pain in the joy of God who I know loves me. Sometimes I get depressed and frustrated because of the limitations mostly. It also wears me down. I take naps nearly every day because my body simply shuts down. Pain is fatiguing! As james says, I need to count it as joy that I am asked to endure these trials because in them my faith is stretched.

Never once have I questioned God in this, but I do constantly ask Him to take it away. He hasn't as of yet. I also pray that my faith will continue to grow in this and that my times of depression and frustration become less and less and shorter and shorter. I don't know what your suffering is, but I pray that your faith grows through it!

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home