Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Always Learning from God's Word

I am studying 1 Peter in my devotions right now. God is really speaking to me through this passage right now:

21 Through Christ you have come to trust in God. And you have placed your faith and hope in God because he raised Christ from the dead and gave him great glory.
22 You were cleansed from your sins when you obeyed the truth, so now you must show sincere love to each other as brothers and sisters.
Love each other deeply with all your heart. (1Peter 1:21-22 NLT)

Notice the relationship between our relationship with Christ and love for one another. It doesn't say, "Since you chose Christ, focus on living for Him." Sure, the Bible talks about that elsewhere, but here, in Peter's letter to the churches in Asia Minor, who were facing significant trials, he tells them that because they have been forgiven, they need to "show sincere love for each other." Not just superficial love, but sincere love, deep love.

Sometimes that's really hard. Sometimes people are really frustrating and it's easier to give up on them. Recently I made a comment that I have made numerous times before, but the Holy Spirit is confronting me with it. Jokingly, I have said that, "If it weren't for the people, ministry would be great." Of course, without people, there would be no ministry! The saying comes from frustrations with people who are selfish and short sighted. More importantly, God is showing me, that the saying comes from sin in my heart!

I have vowed to God that I won't say that again, and have asked Him to cleanse it from my mind. I repeat it here so that I will be held accountable. I am just as selfish, and just as short sighted, as those I become frustrated with. Jesus talked about the sliver and the plank in the eye, for me it is the whole tree!

I want to have the kind of love for people that Peter is writing about. It is sincere, and deep. It will require vulnerability, trust, and selflessness. I know that the Holy Spirit has the power to make this change in my heart. I know that these characteristics can be manifested in my life. It must be a priority every day to ask God to continue to mold me. When I encounter frustrating situations, I need to process them better, more gently, more godly. I need to obey the truth!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home