Thursday, May 29, 2008

Finally, Good News from a Doctor!

I had a conduction test done last week. If you don't know what that is, it's like volunteering for the electric chair. Josh even told me to make sure they used a wet sponge (See the movie the Green Mile if you don't know what this means). Basically, they connect electrodes to one end of a nerve and give it an electrical charge to determine possible nerve damage. Since I have been having some leg problems that seemed nerve related, this test was needed.

Before getting to the results, here's the latest on the rest of the health front. Surgery on my arm went well, though I was frustrated that I wasn't back to normal after three days (Paige nailed me on that!). The MRI on my lower back showed that it is getting worse. Last time I had a torn disk. Now that disk is beginning to bulge and two more are torn. Blood tests showed suddenly high cholesterol and sugar levels, so I'm on a pill for that and a huge diet change (That I'm hating!). We have three months to get it in line or more drastic measures will be taken. I'm not diabetic, but close. The sudden number jump scared the Dr. enough that he was surprised that I wasn't having chest pains and ordered an immediate EKG. Everything is fine there.

The results are in. While there is some nerve damage, most of the damage that is symptomatic is reversible. Finally, some good news! I began therapy to strengthen my back and now I am doing traction (which feels good during, but not later when the back realizes what's been done to it!). The obvious hope is to avoid surgery, so I am working hard!

As for church, I have had to stop doing set-up and tear-down which is nice, but it's hard dealing with the feeling that I'm not pulling my weight while the rest of our staff is working so hard. My goal is to be able to help out again beginning in August, which is when it really gets hot. Not excited about the heat, but want to be helpful if I can.

My focus this year is to get fixed the things that can be fixed, so my arm may not be my last surgery. My body is falling apart faster as I grow older and I have to shake the idea that I just have to accept it. Some things can't change unless God intervenes (which I would gladly welcome!), but those things that now with better technology and processes possibly can, I want to try and change.

I appreciate all the prayers and encouragement I have gotten to this point. Please keep it up!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home