Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Ordination

In today's reading, we read about the ordination of Aaron and his sons (See Leviticus 8:1-36). Ordination is setting someone apart for serving the Lord. This passage shows the significance of their ordination as the representatives of Israel before God. It was a reminder of my own ordination in May of 1986 (Though thankfully, I didn't have to go through the process Aaron and his sons did).

Before I get into my ordination, let me make a side note that I do not believe someone needs to be ordained in order to serve God!

Ordination was important to me because for me it signified the completion of a transformation God was doing in my life. He is still transforming me into His likeness, but this was different.

I had been focused on what I wanted in life and was believing that it was what God wanted too because He was blessing what I was doing. I came to a point though, that I realized that I needed to be doing what God wanted me to do. I needed to fulfill His purposes in my life.

The transformation began when I got on my knees and asked God what He wanted and told Him that I was willing to do whatever He asked of me. Be careful when you make that kind of commitment to the Lord! The answer to that prayer is what led me into ministry. I know that He has called me to serve Him with my whole life. That doesn't necessarily mean that I must always be a full time pastor, in fact, many of my years in ministry I have been unpaid by the churches I have served. What it means is that I listen to God's voice and serve Him as He directs. Sometimes, that is an area where I wouldn't choose on my own, but He always blesses my obedience.

While ordination isn't necessary for many, it was necessary for me, not organizationally, but personally. As I mentioned, my ordination simbolized the completion of a huge transition in my life. The people at my ordination were mentors, family, and friends, and most importantly, my wife Paige. One of the pastors at my ordination was my father-in-law and I will treasure that always. He has been a mentor to me in many ways and I will always be grateful for the late night discussion of issues and Scripture that I was struggling with (even before Paige and I started dating!).

So for me, my ordination is a source of pride. Not to set me apart from those not ordained, but as a testimony and reminder to myself that I chose to obey God in a significant way in my life. I made a commitment to the Lord and I followed through on it, and so did He was He molded and shaped me during that time.

As far as ministry goes, there are many pastors who are not ordained (even on our staff) who I admire and respect, and aspire to attain some of their character traits. We are all being obedient to Christ as He has called us, and that's what matters! We are daily being transformed into the image of Christ. Again, for many, ordination is not important, but for me it was, and today's passage was a reminder to me of the great work God has done in my life.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home