Thursday, December 20, 2007

What's Wrong With Christmas?

As I mentioned in a previous post, I love Christmas. It would be so easy for me to over the top buying Christmas presents (OK, I do somewhat, especially for my buys and my wife Paige). For me, giving gifts at Christmas is a way to express my love. God gave us the greatest gift, Jesus. So what's wrong with Christmas? If you didn't know, several elements of the Christmas story as we typically celebrate it are not exactly as they originally happened. Here's a few:

- Jesus wasn't born on December 25th
- The wise men didn't come to the manger
- There was no little drummer boy
- Not a Christmas tree in sight

Does it really matter? If you're explaining the story from a Biblical perspective, it does. Read the story in Luke 2 and see what it actually says. That said, practically speaking, it doesn't matter! What matters is that we celebrate the greatest gift ever given!

Christmas is the day we choose to celebrate as the day Jesus was born. What matters is the event, not the date. The other details are secondary to the story. The focus is on the fact that God became man to live among us. He gave us an example to follow by His actions, then paid the price for our forgiveness so that we could reconnect with God. There is no greater gift that can be given! We give gifts to each other to commemorate this event.

The only day that should be a bigger party is Easter. So, party on, and give!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home