Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Feeding Others

Tis' the season. During this time of year we focus on those in need around us. We give food, we serve food, and we send money to purchase food. This is all good and it is desperately needed, but I want to talk for a moment about a different type of starvation.

People all around us are starving. Many don't even realize it. Many Christians don't even notice. I'm talking about those who accept Christ, and starve because no one will feed them. Now, understand what I am talking about here. I am a huge proponent in, and firmly believe, that we need to feed ourselves spiritually by maintaining good habits, or disciplines, such as prayer and Bible study. I truly believe that it is not the church's responsibility to feed mature Christians, but to equip them to feed themselves.

That said, my heart aches for those who are starving. I'm talking about those who have just accepted Christ, or have returned to Him after trying to live life on their own terms, discovering that it is Christ who brings "fullness" of life. These are spiritual infants who cannot yet feed themselves. We would never let a newborn starve to death, we would feed him/her. Why are spiritual newborns any different? Isn't our spiritual life as important as life itself?

Why then are so few Christians willing to feed others? Why don't we have a line of people begging to help new believers learn to feed themselves? I would think every mature believer would want to lead a home team, and serve in a ministry geared to new believers. I know that I am biased, but don't accuse me of tunnel vision here. I know the church has other needs. We need people to feed children, literally and spiritually, as well as other needs. What I am talking about here goes beyond program to lifestyle.

I think part of the problem is that many Christians don't consider themselves mature. This is sad in the church today, with all of the resources that are available, to have such immaturity. I think anyone who has been a believer long enough to be able to find things in the Bible and talk to God is mature enough to help feed infant believers.

The bottom line is that we need to raise the importance of feeding spiritual infants. We need to feed them until they are able to feed themselves. Just like babies, it doesn't take long, only a few months, but they need help until then. We need people to step up and feed the hungry!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home