Thursday, December 06, 2007

Sin - We Get Off Easy!

In my personal devotions I am reading through Leviticus (and Acts) right now. I usually avoid this book, but God was telling me that I needed to study it, so I am. One thing that struck me today is just how easy we have it when it comes to forgiveness of our sins. 1 John 1:9 tells us that if we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. A simple prayer and were done, or at least that's what we often reduce it to.

In the Law, receiving forgiveness was much more involved. It required a great cost and great effort. It also required time! I'm sure the Israelites took sin a lot more seriously than we do.

Now, I know that we are forgiven by the blood of Christ who became the one sacrifice for all. What I'm talking about is the fact that we don't always think about that cost when we ask God to forgive us, at least I don't. That's why I am wondering if, in some ways, forgiveness is too easy for us. We need something to remind us of the significance of our sin and the cost for it's forgiveness. What reminder do you use?

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home