Thursday, May 24, 2007

Seasons - Looking Back

God is so amazing! Recently we passed the hospital ministry and meals ministry to Daniel Conner who is already doing a fantastic job. This had been one of my primary ministries for the past year. When I stepped into that role, I knew that I would be stretched. I knew that I wasn't adequate, and would truly have to rely on God to work through me.

As I look back I can see how God had prepared my for that role. Apart from personal experience (I know to well what the inside of hosptials look like - sometime I'll share more about that), I can see how He prepared me from a ministry perspective. When I first entered full-time ministry in 1986, I asked God to keep me from having to do Pastoral counseling. Don't ever tell God that you don't want to do something He has called you to do! In my first three weeks I had three major situations to deal with and that was just the beginning!

In my last ministry, I was blessed to be able to work alongside Dennis Griggs who is one of the funniest, most gifted people I have ever known. He mentored me and showed me that I truly could work with people and did it well when I put my guard down and let God work through me.

All of that was to prepare me for the season of this past year. Seasons change! God has chosen for me to focus more on New Believers. He has created a passion in me for this ministry. While I grew to love hospital ministry, it wasn't my passion. It was, for a season, God's plan to teach me to serve others more. To love in tough situations. To care beyond what my heart could bear. I am in a new season, but with the added benefit of this past year.

I have prayed for a long time that God would make me a more gentle person. I'm still rough around the edges and sometimes I'm like a bull in a china shop, but I am amazed at how God used this past year to shape me and to create in me a more gentle spirit.

I will be praying for Daniel as he enters this season of his life. God will stretch him and I know he is looking forward to that!

As for me, God is already stretching me anew with the New Believer's ministry. The ministry has come a long way, but there are still people who I believe we can reach and help grow.

I'm ready for this new season, excited, and eager to see how God is going to stretch me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home