Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Deployment

I was reading some of my favorite blogs the other day (Like Tony Morgan, Gary Lamb, Greg Rohlinger, Perry Noble) and was challenged, as I often am, to think more deeply about ministry. I take the whole issue of calling very seriously. I believe that when you are called to a church you need to stay there, through thick and thin, until God releases you or calls you to another church. In the blogs I was reading (I think it was Tony's) he was talking about being re-deployed to another church. That got me thinking about the parallel between calling in ministry and deployment in the military (makes me think of the old song "Onward Christian Soldiers").

I think the parallel is perfect. In fact, I don't think it's a parallel, I think it is the same thing. God deploys us to a "theater" or mission field. A church is an outpost in that field. It is a place for soldiers to be equipped to go out into that field and confront the enemy. Lest we forget who we are fighting, it's the evil one, not the people! I'm glad that I'm currently deployed at Palm valley Church. The mission field around us is growing rapidly. The battle is truly being fought in the trenches. Christians in the marketplace here are working hard to reach their family, friends, and co-workers with the truth of Jesus Christ. It is so great to see lives changed on a regular basis. I hope God never re-deploys me to another place, but if he does, I'll gladly go, because a soldier doesn't question his commander, he obeys orders. My commander is God and it's a true joy to serve Him.

Sometimes when things get hard at a church people leave. When they are offended, they leave. When things don't go as they think they should, they leave (or stay and complain). If you are deployed by God to serve Him in a particular place, you need to serve Him with gladness in that place until He either sends you elsewhere or releases you to leave. When this happens, it should be through much prayer and counsel from other mature believers, not personal choice or opinion. We do things sometimes at PVC that I don't like. I hope we always do. I know that sounds odd, but I know I'm not the audience we are trying to reach. There is a great deal that I do like, but when there is something I don't, I just remember that it's all about Him and keep on serving. I hope that's your attitude. In the heat of battle, things will be done, or said, that will offend you. Get over it and keep on serving!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home