Thursday, December 21, 2006

Custom Home Building 101

We're building our dream home (finally). Not a tract home, but a custom home on an acre lot that was previously farm land. We have a well and will have propane for heat. We're doing it as an owner-builder which means we make all the decisions. Since we really have no clue what we are doing, we have a guy named Vince helping us. He is an awesome Christian brother who cares more about us than the house.

I wish that there was a "Custom Home Building 101" class we could take. There are so many decisions to make! Just yesterday we were deciding where to put the irrigation berms that we will use to water the grass (yes, I'm having grass in the dessert and lots of it!). A few weeks ago I didn't know what irrigation berms were. This will be quite an experience (and learning curve). I'll do updates on the blog so if you're thinking of building your own house you'll have an idea what your getting yourself into.

Lesson 1 - Be extremely patient!
We purchased the land in August 2005. It is late December 2006 and we are just now breaking ground. There was a point a few months ago that I lost it. In my frustration I said some things that I shouldn't have and caused all kinds of problems and hurt feelings. After many apologies, I have finally given the process, not just the outcome over to God. Things will happen when He wants them to happen. If I force them, it won't be right. Let Go and Let God!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home