Saturday, January 13, 2007

It's Easy to be a Pastor

If you're a pastor, read to the end before you freak out! A friend of mine, who is hoping to be in full time ministry at some point said that being a pastor is easy. He didn't mean it the way it sounds, and after the week we all had at PVC it was pretty commical to hear that comment yesterday.

As pastors, we've heard the people who think that we only work on Sunday morning and have plenty of time during the week to play golf, help people move, or go change someones flat tire. I actually do have it pretty easy, compared to some of our staff members. I only wear a few hats and because of my health, I get a fair amount of downtime. I see how hard our staff works and the long ours they put in. I pray often that they will be protected from burnout and attacks from the evil one. I spent time with a family in mourning and did a memorial service on Thursday and some of our staff were helping kids and teachers in crisis in our community after a horrific event took the lives of the parents of four kids who were very involved in our community. Easy? Not hardly!

As to the comment, I know what my friend meant. I've said it too. I've been there, wishing I could be back in full time ministry. For those who work a full time job, and then volunteer counless hours at church, looking at the prospect of full time ministry does sound easy. From that perspective it seems to be! I greatly appreciate the volunteers that I serve with. They work hard during the week and then work hard for Christ on the weekend. That's not easy, and I am amazed sometimes at the effort of some that I know (which makes it more disappointing to see people who can but aren't serving).

I love the fact that my job and my service are connected and that I only have one focus instead of two or three. Yes, he is right in saying that being a pastor is easy in that respect, and I thank God every day that I have the opportunity to serve Him as my job. No, the job itself isn't easy. Few worthy endeavors are easy! I'm not saying it's more difficult than another job, it's all relative. All jobs have good points and bad. Easy parts and hard parts. That's why God gives us all different gifts, so that we can each do something different to make the world work. There are other jobs that I think look easy, but I know from friends that do them, that there are hard parts to them.

I love being a pastor with the easy stuff and the hard stuff. I believe that I am doing what God wants me to do. Is it easy? Yes! And, No!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home