Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Halloween - Satan's Big Day!

Let me start off by saying that I hate halloween! I cringe at the thought of "Satan's Big Day". My mind is changing though. I used to love this day - when I was a kid! And that's why my view of this day is changing. I've done the church harvest festival thing. To be honest, the last church I was at did it pretty well. But what I am realizing, and should never have forgotten, is that we as Christians and the church have this day all wrong. Here's why:

1. Who said this is Satan's day? Since when does he get a day? God made all the days and by that very fact, they are all his! We don't have to reclaim it, we just need to acknowledge that it is his day just like any other day. True, some people choose to celebrate the wrong things on this day, but it is still God's day!

2. It's the candy, stupid! Ask any kid under the age of 12 and you'll learn that it's about the candy. They don't care about the imagery that we get so caught up in. Sure they sometimes want to wear a scary costume. Most of us like to get scared a little. I think that's one of the reasons I like roller coasters (that and that I get to go fast). I have never heard of a story where a kid became an ax murderer because we dressed as one on halloween. I know mansy won't agree with me here, but must kids are fine with being Superman or something simple anyway, we adults need to not freek out because they want to look "cool".

3. It's probably the best night of the year to meet your neighbors. In fact, they'll come knocking on your door! Take the time to begin building relationships that may have eternal significance. Let them know that Christians aren't selfish titewads that look down on the rest of the world.

There's plenty more I could say, but I'm sure I've gotten myself into enough trouble with the church at large. Tonight I'm going to hand out some cool candy that kids will enjoy, and get to know some of my neighbors. How about you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home