Thursday, June 26, 2008

Boys to Men

Let me make it clear up front, this post is not about a boy band!

I just wanted to take a moment to say how proud I am of the young men my boys have become! You can never say that you are proud of them enough, nor can you ever tell them that you love them enough, but I try, and not just verbally.

We have been blessed by God to have two amazing sons. We have been fortunate to not have had some of the struggles that many families face, and we are thankful to God for that. Joshua and Caleb both love Jesus, and that is what matters most.

Joshua is wise and caring. He is amazing to watch as he interacts with people. He works at Family Christian Stores and is being trained for management. He has many regular customers. I love the stories he tells about people he meets. I love when he calls to get advise or a recommendation for someone he is helping. He is also a sports nut like me, but even more so (He can rattle off stats of baseball players from the 1920's!). He is so fun to go to a game with because he knows the smallest details about most of the players - of almost any sport! Yes, he's still single and living at home, but I know God has great plans for him. He just took a week off of work to help with kids camp and had a blast. He even painted his head when he got back as a "reward" to the kids. He devours books like no one I know. I love just hanging out with him.

Caleb is creative and deep. His artistic ability constantly astounds me, in any medium, including computer work. He is our thinker. He contemplates what he is learning about God and how he can apply it to his life. He is now a junior at Southwestern College (how time flies). He spends most of his free time working on things for church. He leads the tech ministry for our KidZone. I know God has huge plans for him. He has a lady friend, but we will have to see what God has in store for him. He is a movie buff (as is Joshua), and he is hysterically funny when he recites lines from movies (not just then, but especially then). I wouldn't be surprised to see him become a para-military youth pastor!

Both boys can work on their own cars and have a good grasp on fixing things and using tools (I'm very proud of that fact!). They love hanging out together, which at times we wondered if they wouldn't kill each other before getting to this stage. We are so glad that they have grown together. I used to say that they were the worst of enemies and the best of friends. I am so thankful that the best of friends part has won out! They both are deeply insightful and so fun to talk with. Conversations on family vacations have always been more than entertaining.

I know that they both will carry a legacy of faith into their own families, and know that they will be great dads and husbands.

OK, I think that I have embarrassed them enough!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home