Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Reading

I am doing a lot of reading right now. I'm reading so many different things, I have had to put a couple of good books aside. Besides studying through Isaiah, I'm reading Good to Great by Jim Collins, and Traveling Light by Max Lucado. The fact that I am reading at all is a testimony to God's work in my life. I used to hate to read, but that was before. The before is prior to God touching my life and calling me to serve Him. When that happened, I knew that I would need to learn a lot. To learn, I knew that I would have to do a lot of reading. In my prayers, I told God that I would gladly serve Him, but that He would have to change my heart and create in me a desire to read. God miraculously created this desire and then some. I couldn't put books down. At one point I read an 800 page book in a weekend! I thank God for the privilege to read His Word and I am grateful for the desire to read other books that help me see things that I can apply that will draw me closer to Christ and others. Here's a summary of what I am seeing from what I am reading right now:

Good to Great is a business book, but the parallels to church leadership are significant. Many of our staff are reading through this together and then discussing it. It's really great to be able to process what we are learning.

Traveling Light is a book on the 23rd Psalm. It about letting go, and letting God lead and direct our lives. It is about "casting our cares on Him". We carry so much baggage that we aren't ment to carry. I love the way Max outlines this Psalm to guide us into the arms of God.

In Isaiah chapter 9 I was reading about how God would destroy the leadership and prophets of Israel for leading the people astray. It shows the significance of the responsibility that we all have, and especially Pastors, for leading in a way that glorifies and brings honor to God. It also shows the consequences if we don't!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home