Sunday, April 29, 2007

Stretching

Sometimes, stretching feels good. Sometimes it hurts. When stretching hurts it's usually a good hurt. Lately, I've been being stretched, and it hurts, but it's a good hurt! In the past couple of weeks I have run the range of emotions from some very low lows, to some very fun highs. Here's some things I have felt, learned, and some areas I've been stretched in along the way.

1. God is good, all the time! No matter how I feel, I know that He loves me and has a much better plan for my life.

2. I love my church. Yes, I know it's God's, but I am a part of it, and taking ownership means that I have a stake in what happens. PAlm Valley Church is unlike any church I have ever been a part of, in any capacity, and I love that God has placed us here at this time in our lives and in the life of this church.

3. I still need to learn to trust people more, especially my friends and co-workers. I can't go into details here, but some changes were made in my job that I really had to struggle through. It's all good, and I'm growing through it. It means that I get the opportunity to narrow my focus and expand the vision that I believe that God has given to me for ministering to new believers. It means that I can dream big and watch what God is going to do in this unique ministry.

4. I need to build close friendships. I tend to guard my deepest thoughts and emotions from all but Paige. I need to allow and cultivate friendships with a couple of other men that I can hang with, and hang my head with. I really noticed it these past couple of weeks. Fortunately I was able to share thoughts with a couple of friends, but I need to do a better job of telling the whole story of my thoughts. I need to include my fears along with my frustrations. I miss my best friend in Cali. It isn't possible to maintain the same closeness long distance. It will need to be an intentional goal in the coming months to foster and nurture true friendship with someone, or someones here.

5. I need to trust God's voice. We thought we had determined a God sized number for the STM campaign. It was huge, many times more than we had ever given to anything. A few days ago I heard a voice with a different amount. After the fact, I thought it through and know that it was God. First, I certainly wouldn't have picked this number on my own. Its crazy! We can't sacrifice enough to reach this number, God will have to show up big time! Second, Satan wouldn't give us this number, he wants us to fail, not succeed. If anything, he would tell us to lower the amount, that we can't possibly do it, and that God wants us to be more practical.

6. I love my wife more each day. It amazes me that after 23 years of marriage, we are still discovering things about each other, and are still growing closer. As we prayed together about our commitment to the STM campaign, I told her about the voice I heard. First, she said that she doesn't hear voices. It was so funny, we both had a good laugh. While God speaks to me in whispers (sometimes shouts), and usually in the shower (it's usually the only time I'm quiet enough to hear Him), God speaks to Paige in her dreams. How cool is that! God speaks to each of us in different ways. Even cooler than that, we both have relationships that include our willingness to listen to God's voice.

7. For the New Believer's ministry to increase, I must decrease. I know that's kind of a play on words of a passage of Scripture, but it is so true. I need to intentionaly focus my attention on raising up leaders and passing off things that I love. Particularly, I love teaching, but I know that to a great extent, I need to equip others to teach (2Tim. 2:2). I need to let go of "having" to teach the Fresh Start Class, and "having" to lead the New Believer's Growth Group. For us to multiply these ministries, others must begin teaching and leading. The curriculum is written, and has been effectively used a number of times, so what am I afraid of? I am afraid that others won't do it well. We're talking babes in Christ here! If we mess this up, it may stunt their growth at best, or drive them away from Christ. Oh, Ye of little faith! How arrogant! The new believer's are God's! he is responsible as are they for their growth. We need to provide opportunity, and do it with excellence, but I am a piece of that equation, not the answer.

8. I'm on the table. If you weren't in service at PVC this weekend, Greg stood on a table to show that God not only wants us to sacrifice our stuff, He wants us to put ourselves on the table of offering. In the midst of confusion, frustration, hurt, success, and joy, I remained focused on Christ, His love for me, and my willingness to do whatever He asked of me. That doesn't mean I don't often hang a leg off, or put a foot down, but I'm doing my best to live as a sacrifice to Jesus.

9. I need to be stretched. It's how I grow. It's how I am able to spiritually breathe so that I can minister to others. I may not like it sometimes, and the pain may seem unbearable, but I know that it's for my own good.

10. I need to physically stretch. Because of the physical challenges that I have, even moderate physical activity can exacerbate the pain levels. Stress does it too. I have had some days lately when the pain has been all but unbearable. I know that I need to push on the best I can. I know that I need to continue to try to lose weight, and to stretch, to help my body as much as I can. Often, I can't excercise, but on good days, I need to take advantage of it and work out on those days.

I hope that God is stretching you too!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 4/29/2007 9:49 PM , Blogger Derrick Logan said...

I with you, bro; friends are hard to make and even harder to trust. On the surface, I'm a pretty trusting guy but I struggle a lot with how much info I should surrender to my friends. I've felt burned at times... most often because I've trusted people with a lot and later came to realize that they weren't investing as much into the relationship. It's embarrassing and frustrating to say the least. But it's during those times that I've been challenged not to take myself so seriously and to laugh at myself every now and then.

On another note, it's so encouraging to see our staff struggling through things. It shows that we're not settled or content. May we always keep running and never arrive. (just give us plenty of strength, God...)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home