Tuesday, May 01, 2007

How old do you have to be to be baptized?

Let the debate begin! I would love some input here. How old is old enough to be baptized? How old is old enough to meaningfully accept Christ? Is the concept of the "age of accountability" really Scriptural?

Here's a link to an article that fuels the debate. http://www.gotquestions.org/young-salvation.html

I thought I was clear on my theology on this topic, but now I'm not so sure. If we believe that a child of whatever age actually accepts Christ, then shouldn't that child also be baptized as a step of obedience to their savior? At what age to we say that their decision is valid, what what do we tell them about their decision before then?

Tied to this, at what age do we allow them to take communion? If they say that they have accepted Christ, isn't that the requirement? Who decides?

I'm among those who see numerous people get re-baptized because they didn't understand or remember being baptized when they were young. I think this is why we rely on the "age of accountability" concept which is tied to the Jewish right of passage at 13. I think that this is why I am relunctant to support baptizing children. Am I invalidating their decision for Christ?

What do you think?

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home