Friday, December 15, 2006

Preaching

Not to long ago, I was telling Greg that it had been over a year since I last preached anywhere and that it didn't bother me because I knew that I was doing what God wanting me to do.

Shortly after that I started having thoughts like if I wasn't preaching, then I wasn't using the gifts that God has given me. I really began praying. I wanted to know if the thoughts were God telling me that I need to look for opportunities to speak, or if they were Satan trying to distract me and bring disharmony through me to our church staff.

Here are some thoughts from that time of prayer:

1. I really was at peace about not preaching. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy preaching and would love to preach again.

2. God is not a God of confusion and he wouldn't give me peace in an area just to get me confused about it.

3. I love what I do. I believe that my job is important and that I am using the gifts that God has given me.

4. God can change our gifts and focus at different times in our lives. I have seen it in my own life.

5. I know now that it wasn't God who was making me rethink this.

6. I know it was God who has given me clarity, and peace.

The bottom line is that I don't know if God ever wants me to preach again and I'm OK with that. I'm OK with that because I serve a sovereign God and I will do whatever He wants me to do. At some point He may have me doing something different than what I'm doing now, and that will be OK too because it is all for His glory.

If someone were to ask me if I could do anything I wanted to do in the church, what it would be, I would have to say that I'm already doing it. Every day I have the privilege of serving Jesus Christ and working with a bunch of people who also count it a privilege to serve Him. Roles change and have changed on our staff even since I've been on board. Everyone has a whatever it takes attitude and we encourage each other in that. I firmly believe that I am doing what God wants, where He wants me doing it. My role could change tomorrow, but until then, I'll do what God wants me to do today, and I'll do it in peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home