Monday, October 20, 2008

Respect for Leaders

As we enter the last few weeks of the presidential race, the airwaves will be filled with fantastic and fanatical claims for and against those running for office, those in office, and the propositions to be voted on. The new series here at PVC is focused on these times. Our "Letters to the Next President" series is meant to show the significance of leadership in our society and to remind people that it is God who puts people into leadership roles, and it is he who removes them.

I have to admit that in my lifetime we have had some presidents that I have not liked. But in my dislike, if I had the opportunity to meet one of them I would consider it an honor. I was taught to respect authority. I may not agree with them, but because of their position I will respect them. This goes for pastors, teachers, police, fire, and other leaders in our community. The vile hatred being spewed out from many including "Christians" is amazing to me. People want someone to blame for everything that isn't perfect in their lives. They want someone to blame for things that they perceive as wrong choices, even though they don't have all of the facts.

I can't imagine the decisions that a president has to make. He makes them based on the information that he is given by trusted advisors. Sometimes those decisions are wrong. Don't forget, he is human!

So what can we do? Pray for our leaders, whomever they are and whatever their position of authority. That includes your boss at work. We can encourage them when given the opportunity. We can show them respect. We can be respectful even when we disagree with them. We can trust that God knows what he is doing!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home