Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Change Doesn't Just Happen

On occasion, God, by his miraculous power, will suddenly change us. When that happens it is awe inspiring. The thing is, that is the exception not the rule. We see over and over again in Scripture the stories of people who changed over time.

It is through God's power that we are changed, but it often takes time. Habits and personality traits that have been ingrained for years, are difficult to change. We are urged in the Bible to be "transformed by the renewing of our mind". That happens by focusing on Christ, studying and knowing his Word, and applying it to our lives.

It also means strategic focus on key areas we are seeking to change. For most of my Christian life I have desired to bear the spiritual fruit of gentleness. I am often like a bull in a china shop (I know that comes as a surprise to those who know me), yet I know the trait exists within me because I have seen it many times. For whatever reason, God has chosen not to suddenly make me a gentle person. A couple of months ago, I decided to make a concerted effort in the coming year to focus on this area of my life. I have even done some counseling to begin the journey. I have purchased some books to work through and am studying Scripture on the topic. It will take time, and prayer.

Why would God use someone who isn't gentle in ministry? I often ask that question myself. Then God shows me the countless "idiots" in the Bible that he used to do significant work for his kingdom.

In what area of your life do you wish to change? Are you working on it, just wishing God would suddenly change you? If you have prayed for him to change you, and you haven't changed, he is telling you that you need to struggle through it. When we struggle with things, our faith grows, our perseverance grows, and we are better able to help others with the struggle. As Greg says, "Our greatest area of weakness is potentially our greatest area of ministry."

Thank God every day that he is still willing to use you. I do!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home