Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Ministry 101 - It Really is All About Jesus

As a pastor, it is easy to get caught up in the day to day events of work, and before long it can become just like any other job. This can happen on the weekend too. You can get so focused on what needs to be done that you miss what God is doing. This is especially true if you have ADD and are task oriented, both of which, I am convinced, are very common among pastors.

When you read the title of this post, you probably said something like "DUH!" But before you think the topic is too simple to write about, hang on a minute.

How is your personal devotional life? What book of the Bible are you studying and what are you learning, not just what book are you reading. For me, it is Isaiah chapter 59, and God is showing me that He is always faithful, and that His purposes will be fulfilled with me or without me, and it will go much better for me if it is with me. I am also reading the book "Static" which is challenging the way I think about terms such as Kingdom, Repent, Sin, Salvation. It is taking me back to Scripture which to me is a good book.

How is your spiritual life with you spouse? I have to be honest here and say that that is a weak area in my life, but I have set some goals that will help me grow here. Paige and I have a great marriage, and we both love the Lord. How much better will it be when we are loving Him together more?!

Where are your thoughts most of the day during the week? Are they looking forward to your day off, or on projects outside of the church? I think we all struggle with this at times. We need to make sure that our prayer life challenges us daily to focus on Christ and His purposes for us and the church we serve.

What do you think about on the weekend? Are you thinking about who is playing in the game that afternoon, or what's for lunch, or...? The weekend isn't a time to let down on your prayers, it is the time to crank it up a notch because that is when Satan will attack the hardest. Every pastor, I am sure, has had a day that he just didn't want to get out of bed and do anything, that's just being human. It's in those moments that we draw on Scripture and prayer and rely on God's strength and power. It is usually those days when you can see God work clearly.

If we continually focus on who Jesus is, and the many reasons He came, it is much easier to live every moment serving Him. The tasks are purpose driven (not just a book title!) and God will bless you! Of course it also means that Satan will attack harder in a greater variety of ways, but the Holy Spirit will empower you to overcome!

It really is all about Jesus. We must expend every effort to grow in Him and encourage others to grow in Him as well. We live this out by loving others, especially the unlovely, and encouraging others to love as well.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home