Sunday, April 15, 2007

Playing Hurt

I hadn't thought about it until Greg said it to me today. As I was leaving to go home early from church, he thanked me for playing hurt. I hadn't thought about it that way, but I really was playing hurt. I am sick. I'm sicker than I've been in a while.

It started hitting me on Friday, and Satuday I had a full blown cold. I pushed as hard and as far as I can push, but I can't push through it. I'm down for the count. I can't stop coughing and my throat is killing me. I heaven't slept in a couple of days. At best I have napped in my chair at night. I had to leave service Saturday night because of a coughing attack. I should have taken the hint, but things needed to done, and things are pretty exciting right now and I love seeing the results. We had one person express that he gave his life to Christ, and that makes it all worth while. Today I felt even worse. I was even a bit woozy standing on top of a tall ladder adjusting lights. I starting thinking that it really wouldn't be a good idea to fall! I was supposed to teach a Fresh Start Class today but no one came (I'll blog about that this week). I think God knew that I was too sick to teach, and so did I, but I had already put into God's hands and knew that He would speak through me. As I sit here at the peak of the accumulated effect of all the stuff I'm taking (which doesn't last nearly long enough), here are some thoughts about playing hurt:

1. Sometimes we should play hurt. The apostle Paul was nagged by a "thorn in the flesh). He played hurt. There are injuries and illnesses that we get that God wants to use to strengthen our faith. I know, I have one. I have dealt with physical challenges for several years now. I have prayed for God to remove it, but so far He has simply said that "My strength is sufficient for you". I play on! God has a plan for me, and I'll continue to play hurt if that's what He has called me to.

Certainly, I need down time, and if you deal with things, you need down time too. Work it into your schedule. Because of my challenges, I need a nap every day. I actually plan it into my day. Some days it just isn't possible. On those days, I know I'll pay the price, but sometimes it's simply necessary, and worth it.

2. Sometimes we shouldn't play hurt. In some cases it is detrimental to you and the team to play hurt. I knew I had reached that point today. I couldn't shake hands, and I couldn't think clearly. It was definitely time to shut it down and take care of myself. If I were to get everyone sick around me, that would certainly be a very bad thing!

I think of a certain NFL guarterback who played with an injured thumb on his throwning hand. He threw more interceptions and his team continued to lose until he came out so that his hand could heal. We had some get togethers planned for today and I knew that it would be a hindrance not a help for me to be there, so as much as I wanted to go, I stayed home.

3. Though not what I'm facing now, I was thinking that playing hurt could include physical, emotional, or spiritual issues. There are still times when you play hurt and when you don't regardless of the hurt. Either way, you need to put it into God's hands. If it's something that God has "blessed" you with, you need to determine what God wants you to do with it. If it is something that needs to be dealt with, then deal with it! Get the help you need so that you can minimize the damage and downtime. For me, if I'm not feeling much better tomorrow, I'll be going to see the Dr.

The bottom line is, if you're playing hurt, are you helping or hurting? If you are hurting your team you are being selfish and sinful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home