Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Praying in Faith

In my devotions Tuesday, God was showing me a habit that I've picked up. I don't know where it came from, but it is really annoying. It demonstrates a lack of faith on my part. You may have this habit too. For many, I'm sure that it's not a habit, but an actual definition of their level of faith. I sure hope it's not an indicator of my level of faith. As a wise man once said, "I believe, help my unbelief" (Mark 9:24). Actually, this man was the father of a boy that needed help. I'm sure he was afraid for his son.

The habit? Hedging my bets in my prayer life. I noticed that in some of my prayers that require God to act, I tack on "if it's your will." How rediculous is that! Is there any question what God's will is when it comes to people making a decision for Him, or growing in Him? Of course not! Is there any question what God's will is when a child is fighting for his life? Of course not.

You say wait a minute on that last one, children die in spite of the prayers offered on their behalf. Yes, that's true. I am making a distinction here between God's will and God's plan. For example, the Bible says that God doesn't want anyone to perish, but have eternal life. That is God's will. Does that mean that no one dies without a relationship with Him? Unfortunately, no! God does; however, provide a way, a plan, for the gift of eternal life to be offered to all who wish to receive it.

In my prayers I need to give God the opportunity to say no. I think so many prayers go unanswered because we don't ask in faith. We don't really expect God to do anything. We need to leave it up to God whether He will say yes, no, or wait. We need to stop hedging our bets. We need to simply ask God to act, to intervene, to go big. Our prayers, my prayers, need to simply be ones of unbridled faith. Like, "God please heal Josh", not "If it's your will, please heal Josh."

We only know God's plans that have been revealed to us through the Bible. So we don't know what God's plan is in every situation. We need to simply ask, and wait to see what He does. His plans aren't our plans, though they sometimes correspond. So, I'm focusing on breaking myself of this habit. I'm asking God for His help. I'm asking, and I'm not hedging my bets. I'm sure it's His will that I ask in faith!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home