Monday, October 02, 2006

Just Relax

I was tired yesterday afternoon, but I didn't think it was a big deal. I got calls (as all of our staff did) and an email from Greg and Mark to get some rest today. When I struggled to wake up this morning and took a two hour nap later today, I knew I needed it! Being a pastor is the hardest job I've ever done. I've worked hard before (some one debate that), but it isn't the physical, it's the mental. It's not a bad thing, it just is.

Caring takes a lot out of you. I'm sure it's the same for any profession in which your main focus is on caring for others. I've never been a Senior Pastor, but as tired as I get sometimes, I imagine that their fatigue is multiplied several times over. I'm glad I serve a church that cares for its staff and encourages breaks. I think burnout is a major reason people leave the ministry. You work really hard to care, then someone complains that you didn't show care for them. Fortunately, we don't have many people like that at Palm Valley, and I rarely ever hear that someone fell through the cracks. I think that's a God thing. I am encouraged often by people in our church, and our office staff is off the hook in this area. They pray for and say words of encouragement often. It's such a joy to see them each day. Marge, Lisa, Julie, Eileen you guys rock!

Time for some MNF - Go Eagles! (I'm not really an Eagles fan, but I'm definitely not a Packer's fan - Favre should have retired)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home