Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Isaiah - Hezekiah was an Idiot!

On his deathbed (Chapter 38), Hezekiah prays and God gives him 15 more years to live. That was pretty cool! The coolest part was God turning back time as a sign of His promise. Hezekiah's poem is thought proviking. I love verse 16, "Lord, your discipline is good, for it leads to life and health." God's discipline is painful, but it has a purpose!

In chapter 39, the Babalonians come for a visit and Hezekiah shows them everthing he has. Everything of value and every weapon. Doh! I think the issue was his claim that he owned them, not God. God owns everything, we are merely stewards. Also, this is a common enemy, even though there was a time of peace, why would you show them everything? They knew what defense Hezekiah had, and knew to make sure that when they plundered Jerusalem they got everything of value.

When he learned that because of his stupidity, his children would be taken captive, Hezekiah threw them under the bus. What a loving father! God gave him a 15 year extension and his response is that at least there would be peace during his lifetime. It's not my problem what happens after I die.

It makes me think about what legacy or mess I will live my boys after I am gone. I need to have my house in order so that they don't have to deal with needless stuff. I want to leave them a legacy of hope and promise, not one of loose ends that they must deal with.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home